Friday, May 6, 2011

Who do you go to above the school board?


Who do you go to above the school board?
I have a 10 yr old in 4th grade. Ever since we have moved to Texas (we are military) we have had nothing but problems with our son. 2 years ago we had to start him on medication for ADD. Everywhere we have been before Texas has been wonderful school systems. Texas sucks! All they care about is their stupid TAKS testing. They could give a rat's ass about basic learning and understanding. Anyways....my son is the only white kid in his class. We live in El Paso. I AM NOT PREJUDICE, LET'S GET THAT STRAIGHT RIGHT AWAY, but when my son complains about not having anyone to really play with cause 75% of his class only speaks spanish, there's a problem! I belive that if you are going to live in America, please speak the language, english. Anyways, his teacher called me today complaining about him again saying that she is worried about his TAKS test this Wed. He has been complaining about getting bullied again. They still have not fixed the problem. Where do I turn to above the school board?
Grade-Schooler - 8 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Take it to the superintendant of the school district. It is a problem that none of those kids speak English. I totally agree, because you know what I would do if I planned on moving to France, learn French!! I swear it should be a requirement to gain citizenship or get a high school diploma here. But you know, it just seems like they'll let anyone in these days. ugh... Seriously though, I would consider private schooling. If you're that close to the border that's all you'll get in public schools.
2 :
Superintendents report to the school board, so contacting him if you've already contacted the school board won't help. You need to contact the school board members individually.
3 :
Every state like it or not has it's own test, that kids have to take. I have had to take the Michigan one and when I was in high school it was the MEAP. If it were up to me, we wouldn't have them, as the only reason I see that they have them, is just a way for someone to make money on them ....As for the whole language thing, Texas is a big time Spanish speaking state like California, that's just the way it it. If you and your son feel the school is not a right fit for him, perhaps see about sending him to another school. One that maybe school of choose or even a private school. I attended a small private school, perhaps that would be better suited for your son. I understand that moving is hard and a big adjustment, especially when your unfamiliar with the place. But you can't make those kids speak English all the time, they probably have spoken mostly Spanish since they could start talking and only talk English when needed. When I went to college at my local college, people were speaking all sorts of languages, it was just something you had to get used to.
4 :
Poor kid. My heart goes out to him. As a homeschooling mom I'd honestly & strongly suggest if you are unhappy with the school system pull him out. Plus since you are a military family and most a lot homeschooling would work for you. I moved A LOT as a kid. From ages 12-17 I was in 5-6 different schools. It was horrible! I dropped out in 10th grade due to many issues and got my GED. But moving a lot was one of the many issues that led to me dropping out. If a child isn't happy in the school they are in they will not do well at all. Yelling, putting the kid on meds, testing them, moving them from class to class will not help. If the child doesn't have the heart for learning in the area they are in then they will not learn. Check out this website: http://oldfashionededucation.com/ My family follows this and it works great for us.
5 :
the superintendent of schools is above the school board.
6 :
i agree consider private school or homeschooling if it's not a good fit for him. certainly if there's spanish being used in the classroom, that's something to raise with the teacher. but if kids are speaking spanish on the playground, i don't see how that's something you can really expect the school to do anything about. those kids are just speaking the language they best understand, just as your son is doing. btw, while english is the most commonly spoken language in the us, it's not "the language". i don't agree that kids out at play have some obligation to speak english. as for being bullied, i'd send something in writing to the school so that they have to do something about it (otherwise they'll be worried about lawsuits.)
7 :
I totally agree with you. This is America- speak English. If you want to speak something else at home, great, but in school and public ENGLISH. El paso schools are HORRIBLE. My husband used to work there on business trips and really got to know that area. I used to live in Texas outside of Dallas and where i lived the schools were GREAT but from what you described it is a problem.Would you consider homeschooling? In Texas all you have to do is sign them out and give the reason of HOMESCHOOL when you do and do it. Alot of military families I've known homeschool because they get moved around alot (depending on their position in the military). Texas is VERY homeschool friendly.
8 :
Call the department of Texas education and file an official complaint about the school if that doesn't work go to the mayors office he will be able to help.