Sunday, July 10, 2011

What does it take to get into Rice University?


What does it take to get into Rice University?
Hello there, I am currently a high school junior attending Coronado HIgh School in El Paso, TX (yep, a border town). The following are some of my application credentials and not intended to be pretentious. I am currently taking 5/7 International Baccalaureate (IB) courses (6/7 courses in the spring when I have to take Theory of Knowledge) and will be testing higher level in Spanish, English and History. I am deeply involved in my town's National Hispanic Institute as a senior trainer of the Cross Examination and debate team. I am a member of the National Honor Society, National Hispanic Honor Society, and National Society of HIgh School Scholars. I am a jazz trombonist and have been in the EL PASO YOUTH JAZZ ENSEMBLE playing LEAD trombone since my sophomore year. I am also a TEXAS all-state orchestral trombonist. I have made region jazz, concert band and symphony orchestra since I was a freshman. It's going to sound silly, but instead of sports I do marching band. I've also been a section leader since my sophomore year, so I have TONS of leadership experience. I am a member of my school's key club and a Denmark Ambassador for my school's Model UN team. I think the most important aspect of all of this is that i THOROUGHLY enjoy everything that I am involved in. Of course, however, the most important aspects of my life are my family, my studies and my church. Another big part of my life is my co-presidency of a great initiative in my town to educate the public on mentally disabling diseases and how they affect individuals. My GPA is fine. I rank between the TOP 4-8 percent of my high school class of almost 800. I have yet to take an official SAT, but I do remember seeing some fair PSAT scores. My course load is tremendously stressful... and since I give music lessons to many kids around my side of town, I am constantly busy. WHEN looking into colleges, one thing lead to another, and I found myself falling in love with Rice University in Houston. It has everything I need plus more. I would like to double major in music performance and hispanic studies. So I ask, WHAT DOES IT TAKE TO GET IN?!?!? If I audition on my trombone for the Shepherd School of Music and get accepted, does that grant me acceptance into the other schools of Rice? What SAT score should I aim for? any words of wisdom would be TREMENDOUSLY appreciated. THANK YOU.
Higher Education (University +) - 2 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
My best friend's daughter is at Rice, and my friend said that you basically need a 2150 minimum SAT score to get in, along with outstanding grades. It sounds like your grades might be good enough, and your course rigor and extracurriculars are definitely good enough, but the SAT will matter a lot. By the way, you can't get admitted to Rice on the basis of an audition. The audition will only help if you have otherwise been accepted to Rice. They do the audition because even if you had outstanding grades and scores, it would be unfair to you to accept you into a music program if you were not musically-talented, but you still have to meet the other admissions criteria.
2 :
Aim for a very high SAT score. And, yes, getting admitted into the Shepherd School will grant you admission into the other Rice schools. Consider a career in medicine. Rice and Baylor have an early acceptance program that you could qualify for. The University of North Texas ar Denton has an excellent music program. Consider it. Although Rice would be lucky to have you on their campus.