Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Should I switch high schools?


Should I switch high schools?
Hiya. I'm 15 and currently attending one of the best schools in Los Angeles. But lately I've been having doubts. My mom live in El Paso Texas, and I been thinking of switching. At my high school I am right now, I'm a total loser. Everyday I sit with my twin, and the only "friends" I had were forced and didn't even like us. But my sister thinks we should stay because its a good school and if we leave we will lose are place and chance of going to UCLA/ or good schools. Plus she is taking AP World and has to do some summer assignment. But we both agreed that if we moved it might be for the better. We can be with our mom (We don't really see her, and she says she might die soon :/) and we can get free braces (we need them!, it was expensive in LA) and learn spanish, and just learn things in a different perspective. But I'm scare because I'm half black and the mexican/ black tension might be a little to much.We use to go here when we were younger and we were the only black people, but if we move I can be more confident and ect. I know in LA it exist (the tension between black/mexicans). And I don't want to be the only black looking person in the class. And the girls here are a little mean (most) and I don't want to be a total loner and regret the decision of moving. PLEASE HELP.
Primary & Secondary Education - 1 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Changing high schools might not change your social situation. That's something to think about. Maybe you can get help with learning how to make more friends? Maybe kids feel unsure about approaching you and your twin, maybe you seem closed to the outside world, even if you really don't intend to. Sometimes people have body language that sends the wrong messages. Is there someone you can speak to, like a counselor at school? If you're attending a good school, and you want to attend UCLA, you should stay. If you move, you may be a non-resident, at least for the first year (if your dad is still living in LA) and the fees are $22,000 more per year! Also, one reason the UCs are taking more non-residents is for that extra $22,000 per year X 4 years, and you won't be in that category since most non-residents stay non-residents for the full 4 years, while you may be able to become a resident after a year if your dad stays in LA. So there isn't that big financial reason to accept you as a non-resident, and residents have priority. (It's a very confusing, complicated process.) Being half-black may give you an advantage with UCLA admissions, they really need more diversity. I'm sorry your mom is ill. I wish she wouldn't say that to you in that way, though. Don't make a change based on that unless you know all the facts, we parents can be quite dramatic. (Like our teens!) Maybe you can go visit her more? Maybe it would be too stressful to live with her if she is ill, and it might be too stressful for her -- you being there and her not able to take proper care of you. If you need braces, there is help in LA to get them if your family qualifies financially. And don't be sure that you can move to another state and get free braces, because sometimes it doesn't work that way, you have to live there for a certain amount of time, etc. Good luck with your decision. Consider going to stay with your mom for a time before school starts to see if it's right for you. Also, the court may have to become involved, you may not have the choice to move, ask your parents about that. Good luck!