Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Fired from corrections deputy job 3 yrs ago. Any chance of getting another job in the field?


Fired from corrections deputy job 3 yrs ago. Any chance of getting another job in the field?
Three years ago I was fired from my corrections officer job for being late three times during my probationary period. I worked a lot of overtime on a voluntary basis with the goal of learning about every post at the justice center. It would go over the radio and I would snatch it up. This contributed to my being late. I do take responsibility for being late. I was on for just one month after graduating from the academy. I was very enthusiastic about this job and had many goals set. This was truly a personal tragedy for me. Sob story aside, I have since held another non law enforcement job and I am currently attending college majoring in criminal justice. The sheriffs office I worked for in Cincinnati,Ohio has quite an influence in the area so getting a job there is basically a no go. I currently reside in El Paso,Texas. I have absolutely no criminal record aside from a couple of speeding tickets from high school. I am 28 now. I have been reluctant to apply for another LE job due to being fired from this one. I am wondering if this single incident has destroyed any chance of getting back in the game. Law enforcement and public safety is a true calling for me. If anybody has any insight to share I am all ears. Thanks Brandon
Law Enforcement & Police - 2 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
That was three years ago. It will not keep you from getting hired. It will be a hurdle but you can get hired. Apply and get into the hiring process, when asked about your separation from the other agency be honest about what happened. Tell the new agency that it was three years ago and you have learned from that experience. Point out that you have held down other jobs and that you are willing to do whatever it takes to succeed this time around. Be positive.
2 :
I don't have any personal experience in this area, but in my opinion, the reason you were fired is very minor. It's not like you were fired for abusing inmates, stealing, dealing drugs, etc. You were younger then, and I think with your new schooling, you've a good chance of landing a job in law enforcement.